Thursday, December 30, 2010

Banana Bread

I had 5 bananas just sitting around waiting to become banana bread today.  You know, they were soft and perfect for the mashing.  I looked in my quilters cookbook for a banana bread recipe.  This one was called Best Banana Bread-I didn't think I could go wrong with that one.  It's very good-I didn't put any nuts in it though. 

BEST BANANA BREAD
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
3 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup sour milk
3 very ripe bananas
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Cream together sugar and shortening.  Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.

Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.  Add dry mixture alternately with sour milk.
and bananas to creamed mixture, beating until well mixed.

Add nuts if desired, reserving 2 T to sprinkle on top of loaves for garnish.

Pour into 2 lightly greased full sized loaf pans.

Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool in pans for 15 minutes.

Turn out onto foil and wrap immediately.  


No comments: