Saturday, February 15, 2014

Old Books

I was walking through a flea market last summer and a vendor had tables of books for sale.  Then he had a table that said FREE.  Two of my favorite four letters words together.  I started perusing through them and picked up a couple of fiction that had some water damage because they were a little warped.  That didn't hinder the reading quality in them.  I will review them someday when I get time to read them. 

The above books caught my eye because I thought they would be fun to use to draw on their pages.  But looking through them I thought they were so interesting.  They were readers from the Seventh Day Adventist School. This one was copyrighted in 1933.

There was a story in the book about a little girl who took sick and had to stay home from school and her mother looked after her. 

Here are a couple of paragraphs:

Mother kept Patty's feet in hot water about twenty minutes.  She kept her head cool by wiping her face with a cloth wrung out of cold water.  When she tucked her little girl in bed, she put an extra blanket on the bed. Of course she opened the windows, for she knew germs didn't like fresh air. 

The next few days Patty's food consisted of fruit, hot oatmeal with dates and cream (but no sugar), dry, hot toast made of whole-wheat bread, poached eggs, spinach, and hot milk flavored with a little bit of Vegex.

I looked to see what this Vegex was and it is still made today!  Here I found information for it on the Center for Educational Advancement.

It's made of Brewers Yeast.  Interesting stuff.

I then also picked up this first grade reader copyrighted in 1925...the year my Father was born...88 years ago. 

All the biblical stories are really sweet for the little first graders.

I have to share the last page with you....lesson 80

The Last Lesson
The stories are finished, dear children;
You may read for me now the last page.
Your school days are going by swiftly;
You have added one year to your age.

I hope you are learning, dear children,
To do with your might what you can.
I hope that the lessons have helped you
To see our God's beautiful plan.

The stories are true, little children;
Still one thing I'd like you to hear:
In the beautiful home you have heard of,
We shall learn many more, children dear.

There Jesus will be the dear Teacher,
And angels the helpers will be.
In that school may we see all the children
Who have read all these lessons for me.




 


I then picked up this Time Life book from the early 1960's.  I wanted to see what they had to say about Saint Francis and Saint Clare and if there were any pretty pictures.  Not so much, lots of black and white photos.  Might dig deeper into it just to see how times have changed. 

Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate it. 

No comments: