Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Recipe-Paula Deens' Courage Chili



I made Paula's Courage Chili today because I had all the ingredients on hand.
The reason she calls it Courage Chili is because....
"When I'm under stress and I sense that trouble's coming, I need to eat something hot, something substantial, and something that gives me what feels like strength and courage.  There's nothing' like dippin' into a bowlful of chili in such moments.  Chili's a nourishing rib-sticker;  you don't need no fancy food dishes when you need your strength.  Y'all need chili."

RECIPE

2 pounds lean ground beef
2 large onions, finely minced (about 2 cups)
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3 T. chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. sugar
One 10 1/4 oz can condensed French onion soup
(I used dried onion soup mix and added water)
1 T. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. Tabasco sauce
One 28 oz can chopped tomatoes with juice
( I used crushed tomatoes)
two 16 oz cans kidney beans drained
(I used 1 can of pinto beans and one can of  white kidney beans)

Brown the ground beef with 1 1/2 cups of onions.  Add the garlic powder, alt, chili powder, oregano, sugar, soup, flour, and Tabasco.  Mix well and simmer for 1 hour covered, stirring occasionally.  Add the tomatoes and beans.  sir and simmer cover for 20 min. longer. 

When this is done you can add Fritos corn chips, onions, cheese and sour cream on it if you like. 

This was very, very good. 

No comments: