Sunday, July 31, 2011

Herb Pot Update

Here are my sorry looking herb pots.
I can definitely get smell off the catnip but the leaves are so small the cats would probably be insulted if I tried to give them a piece of the plant.
I don't know if my poor result is from a combination of inferior dirt and the heat, but I will try again next year for sure. I am not disillusioned at all.

I cooked a chicken in the slow cooker and had to do something with it so I am making homemade chicken noodle soup.  My it does smell good.  It called for the herbs marjoram and thyme and I had some, but I thought it would have been nice to go to my "pots" and get some fresh.  But I didn't plant those flavors. 
Here is a picture of my simmering pot.

I like chunks of everything instead of chopped.  That way it is easier to remove the offending piece of vegetable that the person doesn't like.  I am meaning Kevin as he doesn't like onions.  When he was little he called them 'yunyions'.  He likes the flavor just not the actual yunyion.
I will have this tasty soup for my lunches this week.
Here is the recipe.
I found it in a Taste of Home
Heartwarming Soups Magazine and then did it "My Way".

Chicken Noodle Soup

1 cooked chicken done in a crock pot, cut or pull apart the cooked meat.
In a large pot add:
2 1/2 quarts of water
3 tsp. salt
6 chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 medium onion cut into large chunks
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. dried marjoram
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1 can of baby carrots
1 cup chunked celery.
 Let simmer until vegetables are tender.
Add the noodles and cook till soft.
Enjoy with warm bread, and a cool side salad.

No comments: