Sunday, August 28, 2011

Random Acts of Kindness Story


Taken from the Book "Random Acts of Kindness-An Illustrated Celebration
I was living in Chicago and going through what was a particularly cold winter-both in temperature and in my personal life.  One evening I was walking home from a bar where I had been drinking alone, feeling sorry for myself, when I saw a homeless man standing over an exhaust grate in front of a department store.  He was wearing a filthy sportcoat and approaching everyone who passed by for money.

I was too immersed in my own troubles to deal with him so I crossed the street.  As I went by, I looked over and saw a businessman come out of the store and pull a ski parka out of a bag and hand it to the homeless man.  For a moment both the man and I were frozen in time as the businessman turned and walked away.  Then  the man looked across the street at me.  He shook his head slowly and I knew he was crying.  It was the last time I have ever been able to disappear into my own sorrow. 

Come on readers, post a random act of kindness story that happened to you in my comments section.

1 comment:

Robin said...

In the past few weeks I have spoken with many parents and students trying to pass on as much information as I can for them. When they tell me that they are glad that they called or that I have been very helpful I feel good about the complement. It makes me aware that I should complement people more often and maybe make them feel good.